Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Joy Garnett- Joy of Felting



Creating with fibre and fabric has been a passion since I learned to thread a needle at the age of eight and started making what would now be vintage doll clothes! First a seamstress, then a weaver, I now combine both of those skills with the popular surface embellishment technique of needle felting and with the art of wet felting. Blending colour and texture in surface design is especially important to me and is a hallmark of my work. I consider my technique to be akin to painting with fibre, especially wool.

I am largely self and peer taught, and have taken advantage of many workshop and short course opportunities to enhance my skills over the years. I have been fortunate to have lived in several diverse areas of Canada, and to have traveled in many other locations in Canada and abroad. From growing up and being educated in southern Ontario, to experiencing life in two of Canadas national parks, Wood Buffalo in the Northwest Territories and Waterton Lakes in southern Alberta; then living in Calgary and finally Victoria BC where I now reside, many of my visions of colour and texture come to me through the sights I have experienced over a lifetime in various locales. Now, the ever-changing designs and colours in nature around me are of great influence when I combine fabrics and fibres, primarily wool and silk, to create decorative, wearable and functional art with a West Coast flavour.

As a member and a Director of the Island Artisans Association, an organization representing Vancouver Island and Gulf Island artisans in the promotion and appreciation of quality craft, I am an active supporter of excellence in craft. I am also a member of a local textile art group Fibres and Beyond.

I am a vendor annually at Gifts for Myself and Others and at Out of Hand, quality craft shows held in Victoria. I currently sell my work at Side Street Studio, She Said Gallery, the Royal British Columbia Museum Shop, Knotty By Nature and Abkhazi Gardens in Victoria as well as the Chemainus Theatre Gallery, Sooke Harbour House and the Sooke Regional Museum Shop.