Thursday, May 24, 2012

Harvey Brooks



I have been woodworking for over 35 years and woodturning since 1989. I was a furniture refinisher and cabinet maker for a number of years and built many pieces of custom furniture. Recently, following an accident, I have been focusing mainly on smaller craft items and wood turnings. I have been making my personalized puzzle stools for over 20years. I made the first ones for my daughter and son, then started making more for friend's children and grandchildren. I produce my laminated cutting boards mainly from wood salvaged from friends and cabinet makers. This wood is predominately offcuts that would otherwise end up as firewood or in the landfill. In my woodworking passion of woodturning, I produce mainly utilitarian items like bowls and platters as well as pens and bottle stoppers. My source of supply for the wood I use in these items is mainly through the Wood Recovery Program of the Vancouver Island Woodworkers Guild. I have some items on display at local galleries and sell through local craft markets. I am a member of the Vancouver Island Woodworkers Guild, the Island Woodturners Guild, the American Association of Woodturners, and the Island Artisans Association. I am married and have two grown children